Thursday, February 12, 2009

Can You Tell I Have Been Deprived of Valentine's Day for the Last Few Years?!?

My Valentine's days for the last few years have consisted of flowers, fLowERs, and more FLOWers! This year I decided I didn't want to miss out on this holiday of lOVe and have been celebrating early! Today you get to see what Valentines I sent to missionaries and the cookies that went in my family Valentine packages....

{Playing Card Valentines}
This year I used playing cards and Alice in Wonderland clip art to create my Valentines!

You can find the Alice in Wonderland clip art here.

I used clever card and poker inspired sayings to match the number on the face side.
{Handy dandy tip: I have learned that a little tulle and glitter makes everything cuter!}



{Conversation Heart Cookies}
I loved this idea from Martha Stewart! My grandma and I made them last week to send in our Valentine's packages to family.

Instead of using Martha's cookie recipe I used one that ChaNGeD my life! Brit gave me this recipe a few years ago and it is my fAVorITe.

After the cookies are baked they need to be frosted with the following Royal Icing. We found out that the original recipe made WAY too much, so below I have cut it down to the correct amount.

Royal Icing

  • 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 5 tablespoons meringue powder (I used egg white powder)
  • 1/2 cup water
Combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. With mixer on low, gradually add water. Mix on low until smooth and the consistency of thick honey, about 5 minutes. Do not overbeat. If icing is too thick, add more water, a little at a time, beating to desired consistency. If icing is too thin, continue mixing for 2 to 3 minutes more. Icing will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 week. (Stir with a rubber spatula before using.)


After frosting the cookies, let them dry overnight. Then smear some red gel food coloring on a paper towel and use it to wet small letter stamps. Being careful not to press too hard, stamp your favorite conversation pieces onto the cookies. The coloring will take about an hour to dry.


Aren't they lovely? And oh moses smell the roses are they good!!!

Up Next? Packaging for these adorable cookies and all other treats that went in my Valentine's boxes...

1 comment: