Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Walking the streets of Los Andes


November 17, 2009

Mi Bakan Familia,

Happy Birthday Mom!!! It sounds like you all are having a fun time and I am going to be jealous of your dinner. We just ate sandwiches during our zone activity and I don’t feel so good. We watched the movie about the life of President Monson and it was so good! If you haven’t seen it you should watch it!

I can’t think of what happened this week. The weeks are starting to blur together. Ohhh….you are going to be jealous of this. I am buying one kilo of strawberries every week for $1. Yep $1. They are so delicious. And there are so many fruits here that we don’t have in the States. My favorite so far is Chirimoya. Ha. Priscilla made really yummy Chirimoya ice cream this week! I learned to say this tongue twister from Sofi, “Comi Chirimoya, me enchirimoye, para disenchirimoyarme, como me disenchirimoyare?” It was pretty hard to learn and I walked around for days practicing. Just ask my companion.

The work is good. We are being blessed by the efforts of our ward. We are teaching a “secret investigator.” Well, her family knows we are teaching her, but they don’t know that she is going to be baptized. I can’t say a whole lot because there are members here that read my blog and I don’t want them to know about the surprise. But just so you all know, she is the perfect investigator and is a product of a lot of work by her parents, ward members, past missionaries, and Heavenly Father. I am so excited for her and her family.

Remember the pictures I sent from when I ate fondue with Ha Spielmann, Magdalena and her girls? Well we are teaching Magdalena and the girls again! Their neighbor Ha. Carola has been visiting them a lot lately and she told us we should visit them. So we stopped by last Friday night. In the past Magdalena has been very non-committal and didn’t want to come to church. Friday she said that she was going to be in town Sunday and when I asked what she thought about church, she said that she was thinking about it and that we should pray for her. I prayed almost constantly for her the next day and a half. Guess what??? I entered the chapel yesterday and I was saying hi to the members near the door and about 5 minutes later noticed that Magdalena and her girls were seated at the back of the room!!! I was so excited. We still have a lot of work to do with her, but she is progressing and wants to meet with us more often now!!! Woo hoo.

I taught Gospel Principles yesterday and it was a lesson that I learned a lot from. The lesson is entitled Jesus Christ our Chosen Guide and Savior. The lesson is about the need we have for a Savior and what it means to be a savior. We talked about the plan of Heavenly Father and how he gave us our agency, which meant that we would sin and need help to return to our Heavenly Father. So Jesus Christ is our savior in that sense, that he paid the price for us to receive resurrection and if we accept it, the cleansing power of the atonement. He also saves us in our earthly life. He suffered all of our pains so that we won’t walk alone in our afflictions. He taught his gospel consisting of faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the holy ghost and endure to the end, in which if we follow will bring us happiness. He taught us the ways to walk through his example. And organized a church to help us remember the commandments and administer saving ordinances. I learned why Jesus Christ is so important and have more appreciation for Him because I was able to see all that he has done to help us succeed.

I love you.

Hermana Arnold

P.S. It is REALLY HOT here. I am dying of heat!!!! I walked around yesterday saying, "I’m not going to die, I’m not going to die" Oh the heat is terrible. It is so weird to think that it is November. And that we are still in springtime here.

PPS We have spiders in our house. The other day I was getting out of the shower and was drying myself off with my towel and a huge, HUGE spider started crawling up my leg. I didn’t scream.

1 comment: